February 5, 2008

"there's a snake mommy"

Calvin was playing outside in the dirt today when, all of a sudden, he came running up to me urgently saying "I saw a snake mommy...dere's a snake". Multiple thoughts ran through my head.

No.1 being: "I'm such a terrible mother. How could I have not scanned my yard for snakes today?"
No.2: horror at the thought of a snake biting Calvin.
No.3: absolute curiosity to see a colorful snake in my very own backyard(at least in my mind it was colorful).

I grabbed Calvin's hand, told Finn to stand back, and asked Calvin to show me where the snake was. We rounded the corner of the deck and I fully expected that this "colorful" snake had slithered away. But lo and behold, Calvin pointed his finger and said "see it right dere?"

A close-up of Calvin's *snake*

In case you could not tell, it was a worm. Oh Calvin, can't you stay 2 forever? Well, that was the excitement of our day.

4 comments:

  1. That worm looks mighty big in that picture...obviously because it's close up, but from a "little" perspective I bet it seemed like a snake! I remember I thought my 1st grade teacher was ancient back then, come to find out she was in her late 20s.

    I can't believe those boys would play outside instead of practice their drums...hmmm...I'm not sure Tommy would approve ;) Unless, they had already finished practicing of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, What kind of mother doesn't scan her yard for worms!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, What kind of mother doesn't scan her yard for worms!! :)

    ReplyDelete