May 9, 2008

make yer own cake

John does the grocery shopping around here and for this, I am eternally grateful. The other night he came home with a box of cake mix and a tub of frosting.

"What is this for?", I asked.

"It is for my birthday", he replied.

How sad I thought, but at the same time I had to laugh. We have a long-standing tradition in our family that you have to make your own birthday cake. It all started many years back, with my little sister Lindsay. Her birthday is around Thanksgiving and so she would always help out mom, by making her own cake. We always joked about how sad it was. But at the same time, it was so sweet of Lindsay.

Speaking of sweet, my friend Gretchen did the following on her own birthday: she left a note on her parent's door thanking her dad for being so great for 23 years and then took flowers to her mom at work, saying "she is after all the one who did so much work 23 years ago. "

Wow.

The other night John was working late and the natives were restless. So we made John's cake and had ourselves a little party, without him. Eeks. Finn thought it would be fun to celebrate his pretend 5th birthday so we got out 5 candles.

Don't worry, I will get John some more ingredients so he can make his cake:) Or I can have the boys make it for him. I must say Finn was a genius when he suggested putting these big sprinkles on the cake. It tasted like a giant sprinkled donut from Fosters.

2 comments:

  1. ooooooh yum that looks good with those sprinkles! i love the idea of making your own cake. then you can get what you really want and force everyone to tell you how pretty it is cos its your birthday. i think i will suggest this for us in the future.
    also, elijah wanted to tell ollie hes sorry he hasnt been able to do his post he was tagged with. hes been pretty busy but he thinks he should be able to do it in the next day or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My birthday cake looks really yummy. I guess I need to make another trip to WinCo.

    ReplyDelete