November 29, 2009

what is it?

Can you guess what this is?


Is it,

(a) an eye patch?


(b) a mask to protect against the swine flu?


(c) a coin purse?

(above photos courtesy of Finn)

or

(d) MY VERY FIRST EVER KNITTING PROJECT??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guessed (d), then

*ding*
*ding*
*ding*

YOU ARE CORRECT!

Yesterday while celebrating Thanksgiving with John's clan, my sister-n-law Kristin taught me how to knit.

She was so very patient.

I was so very awkard and clumsy, fumbling with the knots and needles.

It was a smidge harder than I thought!

But I had so much fun.

As soon as I got home, I raced off to Micheals for some yarn and knitting needles, before my new skill totally evaporated.

While there, a very sweet n' experienced knitting gal convinced me to get the bamboo needles. She said they were superior.

I bought them because they were pretty and would match all of my yarn.


Back at home, I fumbled once again. How to do that slip knot again? Am I casting* this on correctly? *Yes, I learned a fancy new word:)


I am in the process of trying to knit myself a small-ish scarf.


It looks like a green flag of surrender.

I realize my knots are not even at all. But I am not about to give up just yet!

I have no plans to become a mad knitter, but so far it is very fun and relaxing.

Now, if I can just figure out how to make my knots more uniform...

11 comments:

  1. omg..I would LOVE to learn how to knit...but I think that I would end up jabbing my eye out or something..lol!

    Congrats on the knitting..wooo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you your projects will be perfect! Can't wait to see your finished scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I especially love the swine flu mask! :) I have been really wanting to knit also...I'm going to have to beg my sister (also a Kristin!) to teach me soon! Also, love that green yarn color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, D! It looks just like a coin purse! I tried to talk Tacy into that green yarn, but it isn't what a 10 year old girl thinks is beautiful, sigh!

    You should get the knitting book by Klutz. Tacy has it and it's very good! Especially if you are a klutz, like I am. I knitted a few stitches with it, and I am totally knitting/crochet unteachable. They have it at Michaels for $25, but we got ours from Amazon for $13ish.

    BTW, you look so thin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay! I am so excited that you learned to knit afterall since I bailed on all you girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For knitting inspiration try Katie's SIL's amazing blog. novamade.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM SO JEALOUS! I've been wanting to learn to knit for a while now and I'm supposed to be getting together with my friend and someone she knows to teach us. I'm dying to learn. I think it would be so much fun to have a knitting party sometime. :) Your project looks like it will be awesome! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dying here!!!! I love your little guessing game, and your pictures are so ... DAVI! Too cute and I can't wait to see it when you are done =) So so so so so cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking great for your first go at it! Mine did not look that good in the beginning. A little tip. Uniformity is all about equal tension. Pay attention to how much you tug on the yarn after each knit or purl. You'll be a pro in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting! I've "learned" to knit and crochet several times in my life, but I have no patience for it. Your "scarf" is looking great so far, so I have no doubt you'll catch on like a pro. When i see Lisa's creations, I always wish I would have pursued it with more vigor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you make me laugh! I love it! How exciting that you're learning to knit. And I am very impressed, I think your scarf looks FABULOUS so far. MUch better than I could accomplish, I'm sure :) Can't wait to see your future projects!

    Also, you are beautiful and oh-so-teeny-tiny.

    ReplyDelete